Saturday 28 September 2013

Some Fascinating Additional Information That May Just Be The Answer To This Mystery!



 Do you remember reading about this unusual antique house on here?

Well... I would just like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the lovely UK customer of KT Miniatures who took the time to email me the other day with some fascinating information and one that may well have given us a clue to the origin of this wonderful little treasure (actually I say little-but in reality it is massive).


The lady told me that her grandfather used to be chief architect for a northern city council from the 1920s to the 1940s and that back then, student architects trained on the job. Apparently one of the things that they had to do early on in their training was to build a scale model from an existing plan. The trainee either chose a plan themselves or were given one at random of a property that the planning department were considering for building approval, then had so many weeks to construct a model of it. Height of cornice, size of mouldings, choice of colour schemes etc. were deemed just as important as the construction of the exterior and each trainee would be marked on all aspects of the model. Some of the resulting houses were given to children's homes, to younger sisters of the maker etc.....and the failures were simply burnt! 

This little house is a masterpiece so am sure that the maker of this passed with distinction-if indeed it is a student architect's model!!!

It has now been sold and is about to embark on a new chapter in its life. I'm totally torn in letting this particular house go as I absolutely adore it but simply don't have the room to keep it.  Plus of course, as I have to keep reminding myself, I am supposed to be running a business here!!!
Celia
 

4 comments:

Robin said...

What a fascinating update on the house (which I was lucky enough to see) - I'm sure that it will be loved in it's new home.
Rx

KT Miniatures said...

Hi Robin...whether this lovely house is indeed a developer's model or an actual trainee architect's model, I don't think we will ever know. But having this additional knowledge concerning trainee architects from that era, may help identify future dolls houses in the future. I do know that the new owner is very excited at the prospect of taking this on....so I am confident it is going to a good home! Celia

Marisa said...

Celia
I dont know how you do it I would want to keep every house I ran across, it would be very difficult for me to give them up (but then Im a bit of a horder)

Hugs
Marisa

KT Miniatures said...

Hi Marisa....Yes, this particular house I am finding it very painful indeed to let go of!! But oh dear, go it must. Still, I know it is going to a good home and is going to give a lot of pleasure to someone else. Celia