Wednesday 24 February 2016

Bertha Penrose Furniture & A Little More Besides - See You On Saturday!

Am still in the middle of sifting through all the wonderful antique and vintage stock in readiness for this Saturdays Thame Dolls House & Miniatures Fair. Before packing away I have been endeavouring to photograph one or two of the more special items. The very top of the list just has to be some utterly exquisite Bertha Penrose dolls house furniture, she was an accomplished artist and sculptor. I am calling it Bertha Penrose, but in fact Penrose was Bertha's first husbands name...and what a wonderful artistic family it was - on the fringes of the Bloomsbury Set. But more about that another day.

With her second husband Ralph White, she made this furniture for her children in her studio - I am assuming that all the exquisite painting was undertaken by Bertha as I found her signature (BW) on one of the pieces.  Perhaps Ralph did some of the constructing?
 Amongst the other antique and vintage pieces I'm taking on Saturday is a large selection of old furniture
Some, such as this German display cupboard with antique backing paper, German dresser and Japanese inlaid hallstand, all originate from the 1920s and 1930s. Whereas the red tinged tin dressing table with swivel oval mirror, is probably from the late 1800s to early 1900s. 
There will also be some tiny accessories, including this late 1800s/early 1900s ornate German mirror, a 1920s crystal German wireless and early 1900s German radiator.
Amongst some of the pieces for the antique and vintage garden is this c1930s Britains lead garden gate/hedge set, this wonderful large scale Dinky lawnmower complete with grassbox (this is so often missing) and this gorgeous rare c1930s T&B lead plant!
I will be taking just one dolls house this time, as there is just not enough room for any more...this tiny c1930s dolls house. It is quite a curious thing and I am wondering whether it is a H.R & L Dennis dolls house?
And finally.....from my own private collection, I will be taking this lovely c1920s/30s Art Deco Display Cabinet. Is fantastic for displaying your old dolls house miniatures. I simply no longer have room for it.

Of course, not only will there be lots more other antique and vintage miniatures on my stand on Saturday, but there will be all my handmade pieces - many of which have been featured on this KT Miniatures Journal just recently.For a comprehensive list of what I am taking on Saturday please click on the following link: THAME FAIR STOCK PAGE

Available to purchase on Saturday will be this LET'S GO CAMPING SCENE, made by my workshop colleague Robin and myself, as a "how to make" feature last year for Dolls House & Miniature Scene Magazine. It is now surplus to requirements and must go. We are happy to take offers. 
 Plus this 1/12th scale prototype of an early 1900s German style shop (our Nostalgia In Miniature 2016 Workswhop Project) will be on display on the far end of my stand. Robin's Coombe Crafts stand will be right next door, so if you have any queries with regards to our workshops, one or other of us should be on hand for a chat. We do have a few spaces remaining for our summer workshops, and we will have booking forms with us if necessary.

Well thats about it folks..... hope you can come to the Thame event at Thame Leisure Centre (Oxfordshire) on Saturday. The venue is close to the M40 and a short bus/taxi ride from Haddenham & Thame Parkway Station. There will be 45 stand holders, many being high quality artisans, fundraising attractions as usual for BREAST CANCER NOW charity, plus an exhibition of work from the local miniaturist club. My stand is No.30, in the usual place by the double exit doors in the Main Hall. If you are coming, please do drop by my stand and say "hi". It would be lovely to meet you.

See you there!
Celia
 

5 comments:

PILAR6373 said...

Seguro que la feria será todo un éxito!!! Diviertanse!!!!
Besos.

Robin said...

I've been lucky enough to see some of the Bertha Penrose furniture and it really is quite exceptional, and I would guess historically and culturally very important.

Looking forward to Saturday - see you there.
Rx

Giac said...

Hello Celia,
How wonderful! I especially love the bedroom set and the Georgian shop. They are fantastic miniatures.
Big hug
Giac

KT Miniatures said...

Thanks everyone. All is packed and ready for tomorrow now....I might put my feet up today...(haha - I wish)!! Celia

Donna S said...

Hi Celia:
Just a quick note to wish you all the best for tomorrow. Hope you sell lots and have fun! If there are any more of your teeny houses left after, may I have first dibs?